Re: HTTP Status Codes for QueryRequestRefused

From: Kendall Clark <kendall@monkeyfist.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 11:15:25 -0500
Cc: RDF Data Access Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>
To: andy.seaborne@hp.com

On Jan 10, 2006, at 8:17 AM, Seaborne, Andy wrote:

> Kendall,
>
> Thnaks for finding that extract - it certainly helps me.

Glad to hear it.

> Given that faults are an open set, then we just need to be sure
> that the language of the SPARQL protocol is not providing a
> stronger condition.

It doens't. It provides a *weaker* one, that is, a more specific one.
QueryRequestRefused *must* be returned *when* the service refuses to
process a request. Under no other condition does the must apply.

>   It does do that for QueryRequestRefused where it places a "must"
> requirment (MalformedQuery only uses "should").

Well, Malformed has two bits: you should return it but you *must* not
return a 2xx status code.

I sincerely don't see the problem you see.

Do you have any text you'd add to the spec in light of our
conversation and the WSDL quote about faults and open sets and the like?

Cheers,
Kendall
--
You're part of the human race