Re: saddle?

On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 05:00:52PM +0100, Seaborne, Andy wrote:

> Kendall Clark wrote:
> >
> >Folks,
> >
> >I've had two separate queries in the past few days about SADDLE. So, I
> >have two questions:
> >
> >1. does anyone have a copy of any of that work? I fear it only exists in
> >CVS somewhere, as an old revision of the editor's draft of the protocol
> >spec. I'll be trawling through that looking for bits, but if someone has
> >something else ready-to-hand, that would be great.
> >
> >As I recall the majority of the work done on this was done at the Boston
> >F2F. Maybe someone has some notes from that?
> >
> >2. is there any interest in restarting work on SADDLE sooner rather than
> >later, on the assumption that 2 recent queries probably may be the tip
> >of an iceberg -- okay, probably not iceberg, but if 2 people asked, I
> >assume lots of other people wondered and didn't ask.
> >
> >Cheers,
> >Kendall
>
> A couple of data points:
>
> http://esw.w3.org/topic/SparqlEndpointDescription
>
> and there is a student (Bastian Quilitz) here working on the problem from
> the point of view of information needed to federate queries.  That work

indulgent question:

Does that involve some sort of Query Pattern patterns?  If I go to
IMDB to resolve queries with certain predicates:,

{ ?m imdb:name ?movieName .
  ?m imdb:star ?starName }

they will only answer if one of those is constrained:.

  [
    wsdl:endpoint <imdb> ;
    saddle:answers [
	saddle:pattern "{ ?m imdb:name ?movieName .
                          ?m imdb:star ?starName }" ;
        saddle:mustBeConstrained (?movieName) ] ;
    saddle:answers [
	saddle:pattern "{ ?m imdb:name ?movieName .
                          ?m imdb:star ?starName }" ;
        saddle:mustBeConstrained (?starName) ] ;
  ]

I've been curious about this for a bit so I'm wondering if Basian is
solving this sort of problem. (Also, I had to see if my mail probs
were fixed, and this mail is pretty non-critical.)