Re: meaning of a function name

>Eric Prud'hommeaux wrote:
>>By the current spec, I don't see any reason to believe that the
>>following my:funcs have anything to do with each other:
>>   ASK WHERE { ?x my:func ?y	      FILTER (my:func(?x) ||
>>	      my:func(?x ?y)) }
>>Just thought I'd mention that.
>
>In ARQ, my:func(?x) and my:func(?x ?y) dispatch to the same code
>implementation.  Functions are polyadic, like varargs.
>
>If predicate my:func is different from function my:func, then
>shouldn't they be different URIs as they are different concepts?

Well, I can answer that from the Common Logic point of view. No. One
can use the same name for a class/predicate/relation/function because
these can all be the same entity. They differ only in the arity, and
there is no logical reason why one entity cannot have many arities.
The Common Logic semantics is based on this idea, and RDF uses the
same basic structure, which is why it is fine to use the same URI for
a class and an individual and a property in OWL-Full. We have now an
extended logic called IKL which also allows the same name to be used
for a proposition as well. The basic rule is that if the syntax is
rich enough to clearly distinguish the different 'uses' of a name,
there is no harm in making these all denote the same entity.

Pat

>	Andy

IHMC		(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32502			(850)291 0667    cell