Re: re-opening the DESCRIBE issue

On Apr 3, 2006, at 10:56 AM, Eric Prud'hommeaux wrote:
[snip]
> I propose the following text:
> [[ http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/rq23/#describe
> 10.4 Descriptions of Resources
>
> Current conventions for DESCRIBE constrain it to return an RDF
> graph.

You mean the specification? Isn't there reason to leave that a bit
open, e.g.,
	DESCRIBE according to CBF as HTML

I.e., why put in *this* constraint (convention?)?

>  Future SPARQL specifications may further constrain the results
> of DESCRIBE, rendering some currently valid DESCRIBE responses
> invalid.
>
> [ Non-normative: The DESCRIBE form returns a single result RDF graph
> containing RDF data about resources. This data is not prescribed by a
> SPARQL query, where the query client would need to know the structure
> of the RDF in the data source, but, instead, is determined by the
> SPARQL query processor. The query pattern is used to create a result
> set. The DESCRIBE form takes each of the resources identified in a
> solution, together with any resources directly named by IRI, and
> assembles a single RDF graph by taking a "description" from the target
> knowledge base. The description is determined by the query service. ]
>
> An empty graph is a valid response to any DESCRIBE query.
> ]]

I don't like the non-determinism this introduces. That is, there should
be a difference between not having any valid answers and just not
handling DESCRIBE.

Cheers,
Bijan.