Re: RDF semantics redux

From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 09:29:43 +0000
To: RDF Data Access Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>

On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 01:17:41AM -0600, Pat Hayes wrote:
> But, I have to say, all this seems like overkill. The same effect can
> be got by sticking to the local option, and requiring the server to
> supplying a special URIref as an answer binding to indicate an
> 'anonymous' entity, along the lines suggested by Andy in
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2005OctDec/0159.html.

I like this.

It is what 3store has done for some years - originally it was a bug, but
I met with spritited objections when I said it was going to be fixed, so I
can report that users like it.

It apears to be a natural thing to do when machine processing result to
assemble further queries, like the offspring example you gave in this
mail. That may have been a consquence of the pre-SPARQL XML results format
that 3store used, which is less clear on the distinction between
labelled bnodes and URIs.