in support of postponing countAggregate

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 21:09:20 -0600
To: RDF Data Access Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>

I just read...

[[
2. Have databases enabled people to harness Moore˘s law in parallel?
This would mean that databases could scale more or less linearly to
handle both the volume of the requests coming in and even the
complexity. The answer is no. Things like ORDER BY, joins, subqueries,
and many others make it almost impossible to push the query logic down
to an arbitrary number of leaf nodes and simply sort/merge/aggregate the
results. The easier way to limit queries to avoid this would be to limit
all predicates to ones that can be computed against a single row at a
time, at least where efficiency and scale are paramount.
]]
 -- Learning from THE WEB

http://acmqueue.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=337&page=5

and it makes me feel better that we postponed aggregates.
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/issues#countAggregate

Of course, I would have liked to postpone sort and some others too...

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E