Re: IRI references rewording

Dan Connolly wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-09-14 at 11:08 +0100, Seaborne, Andy wrote:
>
>>I have changed the text in the gramamr section for IRI references to
>>explicitly say which rules are required to generated valid IRIs
>>
>>"""
>>IRI References
>>
>>SPARQL is defined in terms of absolute IRIs (this includes the fragment
>>identifier). IRI references formed by rule Q_IRI_REF and by rule QName (after
>>prefix expansion) must be valid according to RFC 3987 [RFC3987] and RFC 3986
>>[RFC3986].
>

> That has the same problem; it's vacuuous. Anything that's an IRI
> reference is already valid.
>

>> They are converted to absolute IRIs according to RFC 3987 and RFC
>>3986, using the base IRI defined by the BASE clause if present in the query.
>>"""
>

> That's redundant w.r.t. some text under Query Term Syntax
> ("SPARQL provides an abbreviation mechanism for IRIs ...") Please
> either delete it or add forward and backward references.

We put that text in as part of addressing the case of base IRI (this isn't
prefix expansion - it's IRI resolution) in response to a comment.

> I suggest:
>
> IRI References
>
> References formed by rule  Q_IRI_REF must be conform to the
> generic syntax of IRI references in
> section 2.2.  ABNF for IRI References and IRIs[RFC3987].
> For example, the
> Q_IRI_REF <abc#def> may occur in a SPARQL query string, but
> the Q_IRI_REF <abc##def> must not.
>
> References formed by rule QName (after prefix expansion) must conform
> to the generic syntax of (absolute) IRIs.

There is a "must" there but I am having rouble seeing how not to say something
along that line.

It does not exclude generation of non-IRI references as well as IRI
references.  I was left wondering what a "Reference" was.

Maybe:

"""
SPARQL is defined in terms of absolute IRIs (this includes the fragment
identifier).

Grammar production <a>Q_IRI_REF</a> forms IRI references and these must
conform to the generic syntax of IRI references described in section 2.2. of
[RFC3987].

Grammar production <a>QName</a> forms IRI references after <a href="rq23
section 2.2">prefix expansion</a> and these must conform to the generic syntax
of IRI references.

For example, the
Q_IRI_REF <abc#def> may occur in a SPARQL query string, but
the Q_IRI_REF <abc##def> must not.

IRI references are converted to absolute IRIs according to RFC 3987 and RFC