Re: considering new issues: rdfSemantics, owlIntegration, owlDisjunction

On Thu, 2005-09-08 at 08:18 -0500, Dan Connolly wrote:
> Given recent discussion and comments, I'm inclined to add
> three issues to our issues list...
>   http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/issues
>
> rdfSemantics -- should queries of equivalent graphs
> give the same answers? Any practical advice about queries
> over infinite graph such as all the RDF axiomatic triples?

> owlDisjunction -- the worker example evidently doesn't work
> well with SPARQL as of the 21 July 2005 LCWD. Are there
> mature designs that work better? At a minimum, we should
> be explicit that we don't handle this.

Those two are now open.

http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/issues#rdfSemantics
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/issues#owlDisjunction

> owlIntegration -- some explicit explanation of how OWL integrates
> with SPARQL seems worthwhile.

I don't know if that's a separate issue. We'll see how the
more concrete ones go.

> Is that too many or too few issues to cover recent discussions?

I see a request to re-consider SOURCE/GRAPH and UNSAID/OPTIONAL/BOUND
in Enrico's comments...

"The construct GRAPH, combined with FROM clauses, allows to bind
variables/restrict graphs the triples came from. The main problem with
this feature is that the RDF Dataset deļ¬nition ... does not have a
corresponding semantics in the RDF model theory.  ...
We reckon that the possibility of referring to graph names enables some
interesting features of the query language; however, we believe that
this should be excluded from cSPARQL."
 -- http://www.inf.unibz.it/krdb/w3c/sparql-notes-fub.html

But I think the WG already considered that argument in Hensinki...

"... DanC argued against taking us out of the scope of positive
conjunctive queries against RDF graphs. ..."
 -- http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/ftf4.html

It's possible that our discussion of rdfSemantics will result in
adopting a requirement for soundness/completeness semantics, in which
case it will be necessary to reconsider the SOURCE and UNSAID issues.
But for now, I'm leaving them closed.

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E