Re: subgraph/entailment

Enrico Franconi wrote:

>>>Indeed. I expect no bnode in this case too, independently on
>>>the type of query, since the answer should be the same as the
>>>one with the dataset without the bnode.
>>>

>>[[
>>The CONSTRUCT result form returns a single RDF graph
>>specified by a graph template. The result is an RDF
>>graph formed by taking each query solution in the
>>solution sequence, substituting for the variables
>>into the graph template and combining the triples
>>into a single RDF graph by set union.
>>]]
>>http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/rq23/#construct
>>
>>and
>>
>>###
>><http://example.org/book/book1> dc:title "SPARQL".
>>_:b_0_ dc:title "SPARQL".
>>###
>>
>>is a single RDF graph and a single result and I don't
>>see any issue wrt to bnodes or minimality in it;
>>what is the issue in this case?
>

> As I argued with my latest long email <http://www.w3.org/mid/
> E1ED5pH-0005ls-Kz@lisa.w3.org>, there only one binding (query
> solution) for ?x according to RDF-MT semantics, namely <http://
> example.org/book/book1>.
> Therefore, substituting the variable ?x in the graph template gives
> you only the triple
>
> <http://example.org/book/book1> dc:title "SPARQL".
>
> even in the case of the dataset
>
> <http://example.org/book/book1> dc:title "SPARQL" .
> _:b dc:title "SPARQL" .
>

> Is there something I'm missing?
> --e.

For SPARQL to be useable, it must be possible to make queries against the
exact triples in the base data.  Other modes shoudl also be possible
determined by what service/graph/repository is being queried.

It must be possible to access the base data for SPARQL to be useable for any
application that is involved in building a graph while at the same time
accessing it.  I coined the term "zero-entailment" as I couldn't find extsing
terminology.

I understand this to be part of the "Local Query" requirement. I had in mind
that the query language be usable in applications that require access to the
base data so they can add new triples, and they themselves deliver inference
services to other applications.

We have already received comments where application require explicit access to
the base data.  See the long thread starting from:
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg-comments/2005Jun/0039
which includes explaination of the usage.