Re: Comments on "SPARQL Query Language for RDF"

Enrico Franconi wrote:
> 1) On 2 Sep 2005, at 12:58, Seaborne, Andy wrote
> <http://www.w3.org/mid/43183071.1070508@hp.com>:

> 3) On 2 Sep 2005, at 12:58, Seaborne, Andy wrote
> <http://www.w3.org/mid/43183071.1070508@hp.com>:
>
>  > = Blank Nodes in Queries
>  >
>  > """
>  > A blank node in a query pattern “behaves as a variable; a blank node
>  > in a query pattern may match any RDF term”.
>  > """
>  >
>  > then the solution of a basic pattern is described in terms of
>  > matching variables.  This is supposed to cover the case of bNodes
>  > from the query pattern as they are treated as variables and so have
>  > bindings.
>  >
>  > Could you suggest wording that would make that clearer?
>
> We suggest to update the definition of "pattern solution" to include
> explicitly the bnodes in addition to the variables.

Changed to:
"""
Definition: Pattern Solution

Let W = V union RDF-B, the set of all variables and blank nodes.

A pattern solution is a substitution function from a subset of W to the set of
RDF terms, RDF-T.

The result of replacing every member v of W in a graph pattern P by S(v) is
written S(P).

If v is not in the domain of S then S(v) is defined to be v.
"""