comment: SPARQL Protocol: inconsistent parameter names [Was: agenda: RDF Data Access 30Aug]

Kendall Clark wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 11:12:30AM -0500, Dan Connolly wrote:

>>3. comment: SPARQL Protocol: inconsistent parameter names
>>http://www.w3.org/mid/43130E85.6040707@aduna.biz
>>
>>I expect the answer is "yes, this is by design" but since we
>>received it before deciding to go to last call, we need to make
>>sure it doesn't introduce an open issue.
>

> Nope, it's not by design. I mean, whether it was or not, it's a bug. There
> is an issue here about the normativity of the WSDL bindings and what
> constitutes a compliant SPARQL Protocol service. To wit, I'm considering
> adding language like this to the spec:
>
>   To be a compliant SPARQL Protocol service, a service MUST support the
>   SparqlQuery interface, and it MUST support either the HTTP bindings or the
>   SOAP bindings or both the HTTP and SOAP bindings as described in
>   <sparql-protocol-query.wsdl>. A SPARQL Protocol service MAY support other
>   interfaces as well.
>

>>ACTION: KC to work with WSDL WG on describing POST binding with
>>application/x-form-encoded in WSDL 2
>>
>>ACTION: KC to work with WSDL WG on moving "style" from interface to
>>binding
>

> I haven't done either of these; I intend to do both of them by sending
> formal Last Call comments re: these issues to the WS-Desc WG, either today
> or tomorrow.

On the comments list, Kendall wrote:

"""
3. I'm going to rename the parameter in the HTTP bindings from "query" to
"sparql-query" -- which will also mean renaming all of the examples, too.
"""

Would it be possible to do it the other way round?  Change "sparql-query" to
"query"?  There seems little value is using "sparql-query" over "query"

There are deployed HTTP based examples services (mine, Dave's, cwm's SPARQL
server) and there are already embedded links using the "query=" form e.g. on
http://esw.w3.org/topic/DawgShows

	Andy