Re: Review: Query Result Form --> need COUNT ?

Souripriya Das wrote:
> I am not sure if COUNT is allowed. So, if someone needs to find the
> cardinality of the solution set, does SPARQL (based on 1.406) allow this?
> If not, would something like this work?
>
>   SELECT COUNT
>   WHERE ...

One issue in adding this in this form is that later, a WG might wish to add
grouping and aggregation.  So a form of COUNT which as COUNT(*) might be better
including COUNT(?x) of distinct ?x (unbound may or may not count)

Also, so far, we have not forced pattern solutions to retain duplicates or to
implicitly apply DISTINCT (before or after projection) - it allows wider
implementation choices - so there are a few details outstanding.

> In a similar way, does it make sense to try allowing ASK as part of
> SELECT as follows:
>
>   SELECT EXISTS
>    WHERE ...

That would be a more consistent approach, removing the need for a special case
for ASK.  It would have lead to better compositionality long term.

	Andy