Re: Comments list comments

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 10:14:19AM +0000, Steve Harris wrote:

> This is a general comment on feature creep.
>
> While these are useful features, they are complicated to test, time
> consuming to implement, and I dont really want a precident for us adding
> every feature that someone requests on the comments list.
>
> If we carry on at this rate will will end up with something (eventually)
> that is essentially SQL for triples, but woefully underspecified. The SQL
> '92 spec is large, and still not extensive enough to give real
> interoperability between SQL systems. I dont want SPARQL to fall into the
> same trap when we have a chance to make a clean start with real
> interoperablity. Every complicated feature that gets added coumpunds the
> risk that a significant proportion of developers will not support some
> part of the specification, preventing interop.
>
> - Steve

+1

I'd like the change the question  from "are people going to complain if
we don't have this feature?" to "is SPARQL useful to many folks without
this  feature?". I  think the  80/20  rule and  "it's version  1" is  a
perfectly valid response to last call requests for features.

--
-eric

                        5322 Endo, Fujisawa, Kanagawa 252-8520
                        JAPAN