SPARQL Abstract Syntax

From: Seaborne, Andy <andy.seaborne@hp.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 21:22:16 +0000
To: 'RDF Data Access Working Group' <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>

(This is without any assumptions on the question of whether to have an XML
syntax or not.)

An abstract syntax means, to me, a way to write down the key concepts of the
QL without getting into the detail of a particular serilaization.

A quick guess at an abstract syntax - this is pretty much a direct recording
of the way that rq23 sets up queries:

query (
    type = one of ( select , construct , describe , ask)
      select(vars or * , distinct?)
      construct (triple template, triple template, ...)
      describe(list of var or uri)
      ask()
    pattern()
      basic(triple pattern, triple pattern, ...)
      optional(pattern)
      union(pattern, pattern, ...)
      filter(constraint expression)
      pattern
    order(order condition, order condition, ...)
    limit(N)
    offset(N)
)

I'd assume that any concrete syntax has extra features (e.g. prefixes) which
it would want to add to the mix.

	Andy