Re: does DAWG actually have time to do WSDL?

Bijan Parsia wrote:

> On Mar 21, 2005, at 2:21 PM, Dan Connolly wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 13:27 -0500, Bijan Parsia wrote:
>>
>>> On Mar 21, 2005, at 1:12 PM, Dan Connolly wrote:
>>> [snip]

>>> Hmm. Perhaps. It's not so clear to me.

>>> I think it implicit in using WSDL.
>>

>> Our discussion was fairly explicit to the contrary:
>>
>>     <xs:element name='queryString' type='xs:string'/> <!-- in, e.g.,
>> SPARQL syntax -->
>

> I'm sorry, I didn't realize that had force instead of being merely a
> straw proposal for discussion. People were having enough trouble with
> the WSDL (which was novel to most) that I didn't think it was a good
> point to raise then.
>
> I raise it now. That essentially makes the input untyped which is very
> very unfortunate for a slew of reasons that I have enumerated elsewhere.
> It looks especially odd given that we have an XML output syntax.
>
> One thing I may not have mentioned is that it make useful service
> composition very difficult to impossible.

Service composition is a large, open ended area and I don't have a
characterization of the problem as applied to SPARQL.

For example, it isn't automatically a need for an XML syntax.  We do service
composition but by pulling out the abstraction and combining conceptualized
services - that means abstracting away from either XML or human readable
synatx and the presence of an XML form does not aim the process significantly.

	Andy