Re: protocol doc changed...

From: Seaborne, Andy <andy.seaborne@hp.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 13:38:44 +0000
To: kendall@monkeyfist.com

Kendall Clark wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 01:21:38PM +0000, Seaborne, Andy wrote:
>

>>>- linked to (eventually normative appendixed) WSDL 2.0 instance
>>
>>I'm getting 403 from
>>http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/proto-wd/sparql-protocol.wsdl
>>which is linked in section 2.
>

> Yeah, this sucks. I don't know how to fix the permissions. Hoping
> someone just makes it work soon. :>
>
>>>- added interface for "graph maintenance" operations: dropGraph &
>>>makeGraph
>>
>>"maintenance" suggests to me a data management function (maintenance of the
>>server and the deployment), not an client application function ability.
>

> Is this an objection to the name primarily? I'm not wedded to the
> name. Making new remote graphs and deleting existing ones (or, in the
> weaker sense, 'marking' them as no longer able to participate in the
> "RDF dataset") seems like "graph maintenance", but I can drop that
> term if it confuses.

It's the confusion mainly.  I hadn't read it as RDF dataset manipulation at all.
    I'm now unclear as to what state the server is managing.

Manipulating a dataset seems to be more for a distributed application (designed
together) or for the publisher than making information available on the web but
I'll wait until I have a better picture of what's going on before commenting.

	Andy