Re: CONSTRUCT *

From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 12:32:22 +0000
To: "'RDF Data Access Working Group'" <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>

On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 09:57:28 +0000, Andy Seaborne wrote:

> CONSTRUCT * is currently defined as returning the RDF graph that
> matches the query pattern.  This does not extend to the case of GRAPH
> because the query pattern isn't matching a single graph any more.  It is in
> danger of making it seem like there are assertions in the background graph
> that actually are in some named graph.

My feeling is that its the odd situation cased by the existence of
backround graphs that makes this a problem, but more on that later...

I dont really feel that CONSTRUCT * is neccesary,
	CONSTRUCT {graph} WHERE {graph}
is fine by me.

"*" looks syntaxicly clear if you have a list of (a b c) type triples,
but with N3 syntax it doesnt look (as in visual, human issues) very clear
what the meaning is to me
	CONSTRUCT ?a ?b ?c ?d
	WHERE { :x ?a ?b . ?c ?a ?d }
doesn't mean anything, which is what I would expect if the interpreation
followed SELECT.

- Steve