Re: on log:definitiveService

From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:06:15 +0000
To: RDF Data Access Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>

On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 01:22:41 +0000, Andy Seaborne wrote:
> Yes - :definitiveService seems to be to be a very important piece of
> information to support federated query and query routing.
>
> I don't see that it as an absolute requirment for the WG's service
> description at this stage though - if it is ready, then yes, put it in; if
> it feels it needs some refinement by usage then I would not see the LC
> process being held up for it.

With shared ontolgies it strikes me that a given service is likly only to
be definatve w.r.t a set of properties and a set of instances. This is
certainly true for our project personnel stuff, where the query service
at Southampton is be definative for instances that meet certain crteria
eg. (<place:Southampton> <ex:hasEmployee> ?inst), but not others.

This more or less echos what Andy just said, except that sometimes the
definative areas covered by one store/db can be defined ontologically.