a service description approach to accessingCollections

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 15:45:56 -0600
To: RDF Data Access Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>

Euler and cwm have some support for a list item construct.
Jos wrote the rules...

 {?S rdf:first ?X} => {?S o:item ?X}.
 {?S rdf:rest ?B. ?B o:item ?X} => {?S o:item ?X}.

In Steve's service description sketch, he wrote...

        dawg:closedOver <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#> ;

to say that his service computes the RDFS closure of
the background graph.

In Helsinki, I think we talked about a way to associate
a service with rules that it can mix with the input data
to form the background graph.

one approach to the accessingCollections issue is to
take the o:item rules and put them somewhere... ah...
I think I've done this...

and write:

  sparql:backgroundRules <http://www.w3.org/2001/03swell/listsAx>.

which lets folks writing queries know that they can rely
on o:item triples being there.

Or we could simplify ala...

  a sparql:ServiceThatKnowsHowToAccessCollections.

I'm not sure I see enough value in standardizing this.

I think it's just as well for the cwm/euler folks to

  log:backgroundRules <http://www.w3.org/2001/03swell/listsAx>.

and for folks that do what algae does to write...

  a algae:CollectionHandlingService.

for ref:
ACTION DanC: Write up definitive service concept

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E