Re: sparql language editorial comments section 2.1-2.5

Jeen Broekstra wrote:
> editorial comments on SPARQL language editor's draft rev 1.379
> http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/rq23/
>
> =======
>

> Section 2.1 first paragraph: "The SELECT clause identifies...". The
> SELECT in this sentence should be in a different font.

Done

> In the subsection "Query Term Syntax" the notions of PREFIX and BASE
> are introduced. The difference between the two is not sufficiently
> explained. (I would suggest an improvement but to be honest I'm not
> sure I understand the difference myself).

Base IRIs are for things like <.>, <#>, <a> or <#foo> - relative IRI references
that need turningg into absolute form (begin with a scheme name, worry about .
and .. etc )

> In the subsection "Examples of Query Syntax" an example is given of
> three ways to express the same query. The example is not correct: in
> the first two queries 'book1' resolves to the full URI
> <http://example.org/book/book1>, while in the third (and fourth) it
> resolves to <http://example.org/book/shelf/book1>. Suggestion: to fix,
> change the BASE definition in the third and fourth query to
> <http://example.org/book/> (so without 'shelf' in the path).

Fixed.

> In the subsection "Data  description used in the document" first sentence:
>
>   "The data format used in this document is Turtle used to show each
>    triple explicitly."
>
> I think this is grammatically incorrect, at least it's unclear what is
> meant exactly. Suggestion to clarify by rewording to:
>
>   "The data format used in this document is Turtle, since this format
>    allows showing each triple explcitly." or alternatively "....since
>    this format is [relatively] well suited for human readability."

The point is that it is one style of Turtle always having all three parts of the
triple explicit (no ";").

> An example Turtle document is presented in this section, using
> Turtle's prefix mechanism. Suggestion: point out explicitly in the
> text that Turtle uses an '@' in front of the prefix def, but SPARQL
> does not.

I'd prefer to reference Turtle, not explain it.  I am worried that adding
material about Turtle will confuse the matter of what is SPARQL, rather than help.

> Section 2.3 is titled "Basic Graph Patterns". However, the section is
> actually about triple patterns. Rename to "Triple Patterns".

Done.

> Section 2.4 is titled "Matching Basic Graph Patterns". Suggest to
> rename to "Basic Graph Patterns and Solutions".

This would be at odds with other sections which just mention the pattern form.

> The definition of 'Basic Graph Pattern' refers to triple patterns.
> Suggestion to link to the definition of triple pattern.

Done

> Section 2.5 "Examples of Basic Graph patterns"
>
> First sentence:
>
>   "The SPARQL syntax uses the keyword WHERE to introduce the Query
>    Pattern".
>
> Suggestion: link to definition of Query Pattern.

There is no longer a formal definition of query pattern.

> Despite the title the section only contains one example of a basic
> graph pattern.

Corrected.

> The text immediately launches into an explanation of
> blank nodes which confuses the issue, since that is not what the
> section is supposed to be about. Suggestion: use a simpler example and
> focus exclusively on the issue at hand, namely graph patterns. Replace
> explanation of the role of blank nodes with a pointer to section 2.7.

Done the latter (down play blank nodes) but left the example as-is for now.

> Further suggestion: include more than one example.

Suggestion?

> Jeen

	v1.390
	Andy