turtle and sparql sync - punctuationSyntax

From: Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 18:17:30 +0100
To: 'RDF Data Access Working Group ' <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>

Two things are pending that I've been mulling over and will be changing with
Turtle (in  http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/discovery/2004/01/turtle/ )

I would prefer that SPARQL's triple syntax remains aligns with Turtle so
that means looking at:

1. Adding """strings"""
I've coded it so I'm happy with it and it's going in.

2. Aligning names (foo:bar qnames and _:abc blank) with XML Qnames
I'd like to do this also but need to pick XML 1.0 or 1.1 versions to use.

I was also actioned previously to look at '.'s at the end of qnames.  I think
that allowing them as a special case is counter-intutitive and makes a mess
in the grammar.  It can easily be solved by adding whitespace.

So this is bad sparql/turtle syntax as the '.' would be part of ':c.'

  :a :b :c.  :d :e :f .

but this allowed:
  :a :b :c . :d :e :f .

Dave