ASK (was Re: Optional WHERE and WHERE {})

From: Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 16:58:51 +0100
Cc: "'RDF Data Access Working Group'" <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 16:27:37 +0100, Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk> wrote:

> Question: Is the WHERE {...} structure optional in sparql?
>
> The grammar says yes and lookin in the WD I can see it's given as an
> example with ASK,
>
> So whereas CONSTRUCT, DESCRIBE and SELECT are all given examples
> requiring WHERE { .... },  ASK has the format ASK { ...} and no WHERE.
> Possibly ASK WHERE { ... } would be more consistent.

Looking further, although the examples in 10.4 use
  ASK { graph pattern }
this doesn't seem to match the grammar as ASK (AskClause) cannot have
a bare graph pattern after it (GraphPattern), only a WHERE {}
(WhereClause) so the legal sequence I think according to the grammar
is:

  ASK WHERE {  }
matching terms:
  AskClause WhereClause.