Re: XQuery value comparisons (Part I - numerics)

On Apr 19, 2005, at 12:26 PM, Seaborne, Andy wrote:

> Howard Katz wrote:
>>  > Howard,
>>  >
>>  > Thanks for this - it is really helpful, especially about the type
>>  > promotion and subtype substitution.  I think I can upgrade to that
>> style
>>  > of execution so I think it is doable.  I'd be interested in ptrs
>> to how
>>  > expression evaluation maps to existing technologies like SQL.
>> Sorry, I don't have any data points in that department.
>>  >
>>  > Do you think this means we need to say what happens to literals of
>> type
>>  > XMLLiteral?
>> Yikes, I'd forgotten all about xml literals! Do you really want to go
>> there?
>
> It's only because all the major issues are clear from your email that
> I thought of such corner cases.  Personally, I have seen little use of
> XML literals so I don't have a strong sense of what to do or how
> important they are.

Though under attack, OWL-S (under my influence) makes extensive use of
XMLLiterals. It would be better to be able to use XML Schema complex
types, but I don't see how to usefully combine XMLLiterals and further
typing of them (except by adding xsi:types to the literals).

Cheers,
Bijan.