Re: output-xslt good enough for sort objective?

From: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@isr.umd.edu>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 12:22:29 -0400
Cc: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, "Seaborne, Andy" <andy.seaborne@hp.com>, RDF Data Access Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>
To: kendall@monkeyfist.com

On Apr 16, 2005, at 10:24 AM, Kendall Clark wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 08:28:27PM +0100, Seaborne, Andy wrote:
>
>> result sets included.  This is why I don't think DISTINCT, LIMIT and
>> SORT
>> have a place in the protocol - they happen before serilization.
>
> FWIW, in the latest drafts (of spec, WSDL and schema files), these are
> not in the protocol. Just FYI. (And I have no plans to add them back.)

Sorry to be responding to the wrong message but I don't understadn
Andy's argument. Conneg (in general) can happen before serialization
(and may have to :)), but seem perfectly part of the protocol. As long
as DISTINCT, LIMIT, and SORT come in, conceptual, "before" they have to
be applied, it seems fine.

Oh. hmm. I guess, conceptually, the output-xslt comes after
serialization. but does it have to implementationally? I mean, ok,
initiate, perform query, serialize, sort could be nasty
implementationally, but as long as you *know* what's happening in time
to actually *do* initiate, perform, sort, serialize...isn't that ok?

Sorry not to dig back.

Cheers,
Bijan.