Re: Why protocol paramters should override the query in the specificiation of the dataset

From: Kendall Clark <kendall@monkeyfist.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 12:00:11 -0400
To: "Seaborne, Andy" <andy.seaborne@hp.com>
Cc: RDF Data Access Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 11:55:35AM +0100, Seaborne, Andy wrote:

> Sometimes queries need to be directed to specific places.  For example,
> queries can provide custom RSS capabilities.  Find news items since some
> date; find news items about a particular subject area.  Many websites are
> database-backed so a RDF version using SPARQL to connect the application
> logic to a (web) database is a natural progression.

I agree that the protocol should override the query language in cases
where they both specify FROM and FROM NAMED elements, but don't agree
as to which they specify.

However, I can also live with our spec leaving this to implementations
(in which case I'd want to be able to communicate that policy in
SADDLE) or defining some kind of error message to return in case of
protocol & QL defining an "ambiguous RDF dataset".

Kendall Clark