Re: bNodes and properties (was: Re: evaluating SPARQL w.r.t an RDF query language survey)

From: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@isr.umd.edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 08:20:08 -0400
Cc: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, andy.seaborne@hp.com, RDF Data Access Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>
To: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@isr.umd.edu>

On Apr 12, 2005, at 7:53 AM, Bijan Parsia wrote:
[snip]
> I think I tend to come down on the side of folks who want to keep
> aligned with the actual turtle language. I'd like the principle to be
> the minimal set of necessary deviations, obviously marked. As it
> stands, I think dan's fails that test. It adds no new capability; it
> deviates; it's not obvious (to me at least; I always fine []s
> surprising in N3, no matter where they occur).

Prompted by a query from someone, it occurred to me that alignment with
data might not be a compelling argument, given the non standardness of
turtle. To alleviate that, we could make a turtle recommendation, but
then we have created an alternative exchange syntax for RDF!! Surely
*that* is out of scope and inappropriate.

Hmm. This worries me more than it perhaps should. If I go down this
path it seems a compelling argument *against* using turtle or
turtlesque syntax in sparql. At least very strongly. I was in a
conflicting meeting at the F2F when this was discussed so I don't know
how this argument played out.

I'll note that I've never heard this as a feature request from any of
the people I know who use RDQL or other RDF query languages. I might
expect LC negative comments.

Cheers,
Bijan.