Re: OFFSET/LIMIT, cursors, and DAWG scope boundaries

From: Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 15:19:58 +0100
To: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@isr.umd.edu>
Cc: 'RDF Data Access Working Group ' <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 08:50:23 -0400, Bijan Parsia <bparsia@isr.umd.edu> wrote:

Just answering one thing:

> Limit is the "relative" end point. Offset is the actual start point.
> (Hmm. I didn't see any statement forbidding the offset > limit. That
> just returns 0 results?) Both are one shot deals (i.e., they are done
> once in the context of a query).

In the current design, the order of the controls is (rq23, sec 10.1)
  1. projection 2. distinct 3. order by 4. limit 5. offset
(although there are some severe wording problems there that I'll write down
in my review)

so limit is an absolute number, it counts all solutions, and does not start
counting relative to a particular offset.

offset applies last and picks the start point from the resulting sequence
after steps 1. to 4.

Dave