OFFSET/LIMIT, cursors, and DAWG scope boundaries

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 23:07:19 -0500
To: RDF Data Access Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>

In our discussion of the sort issue today, I was kinda
interested to try to move the "give me the answer in slices"
functionality to the protocol, but this evening I remembered...

"2.3 Cursors and proofs

Some languages, for instance, OQL, define a layer of protocol that
handles requester/server interactions for result set cursors or proofs.
The abstract syntax may be extensible to express the relevant
parameters, but their definition and effects are beyond the scope of
this working group."

http://www.w3.org/2003/12/swa/dawg-charter#protocol

If I sorta disregard "proof" in that section, it seems to say
that cursors are out of scope, and the sort of protocol
cookie/tokens that came to my mind when we discussed moving
OFFSET/LIMIT to the protocol seem to be an awful lot like
cursors.

And if we're not supposed to do cursors in the protocol, it
seems sneaky to stick that functionality in the QL.

I'm not sure how to interpret our charter here. I think I'll
ask around. Advice is welcome.

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E