From: Seaborne, Andy [mailto:andy.seaborne@hp.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2004 7:59 AM
To: Thompson, Bryan B.
Cc: 'Dan Connolly '; 'public-rdf-dawg-request@w3.org '; 'RDF Data Access
Working Group '; Bebee, Bradley R.
Subject: Re: tests and inference?

Thompson, Bryan B. wrote:
> Based on my current understanding, the client is not able to either be
> informed concering what inferences the server may draw, nor is able to
> constrain what kinds of inference the server may perform.

Not within the query language itself.

For the description of capabilities:

Such information could be recorded in RDF in a service description.  This
would
seem to be the way to get any information relating to the service made
available
- assert some RDF facts.

Like RDF assertions about any document - we (DAWG) don't need to provide a
mechanism to find, publish, change, sign, ... such information as it can be
regular RDF graph somewhere.

For the constraining of queries:

Different services would offer different capabilities.  I think the spectrum
of
possibilities is wide enough that there is no fixed set we could define now
and
be useful - implementations don't fall into a neat set of a few classes of
functionality.

	Andy