Re: Indicating bNodes in XML result sets

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 11:49:53 +0000, "Seaborne, Andy" <andy.seaborne@hp.com> wrote:

> In http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2004JulSep/0556
> Dave indicated his preference for the XML form of the result set to look like:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2004JulSep/att-0556/result1.xml
>
> This may have been covered but, if so, I have forgotten - what happnes
> about bNodes in results?
>
> If we have the query:
>
> SELECT ?x ?name WHERE (?x rdf:type foaf:Person) (?x foaf:name ?name)
>
> then there are distinct solutions for ?x with bNodes.  This should be
> indicated in the results - this is not letting bNodes out of the graph, it
> just allows the app to see distinguish between bNodes, or see they are the
> same, within the result set.
>
> I suggest having document-scoped ids (c.f. RDF/XML) that indicate there
> were bNodes.  This means that each unique result is still unique.  Such an
> id is not related to the internal bNode labels in the data graph.

That seems the best way to handle it.

> So we might have two 'name's being the same:
>
> <results>
>    <result>
>      <x node="foo">
>      <name>Fido</name>
>    </result>
>    <result>
>      <x node="bar">
>      <name>Fido</name>
>     </result>
> </results>
>
> (I don't care much about the attribute name - rdf:ID?)

nodeID maybe

> The RDF form of the result sets can do this by using bNodes in the cretaed
> graph (and they are unlinked from the original bNodews in the data graph).
>
> If an app wants to find a bNode again, it needs to retrive enough defining
> properties.

yeah.

Does this have a more general non-syntax related issue that should be
pointed out - bnodes in results (any format - bindings, constructed
graphs) may/will/should have labels related to the bnode labels the
data graphs.

Dave