Re: UC&R 4.6 use case and discussion

On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 08:08:22AM -0500, Kendall Clark wrote:

> Okay, I asked for a use case from Aditya in our lab, and he sent me this; I
> could write a "proper" use case from this, and I think it's interesting
> standalone.
>
> Kendall
> --
> Most API to parse ontologies such as Jena and the Manchester OWL API have a
> basic reasoning service (or query language from another angle) that isn't as
> sound and complete as a RACER or Pellet say, but provides some fast and
> convenient services for obtaining useful semantic information about an
> ontology. These would be very useful in an RDF Query Language as well. For
> example (some of them are RQL like),

Refactoring a bit, I think that the only piece we don't have is
"direct".  The rest of the semantics are projected onto graph patterns
in the OWL spec. Assuming the subject <foo> for all these queries:

> class.getEquivalentClasses(ontologies, direct)

<foo> owl:equivalentClass ?x

> class.getSubClasses(ontologies, direct)

?x rdfs:subClassOf <foo>

> class.getSuperClasses(ontologies, direct)

<foo> rdfs:subClassOf ?x

> class.getDisjointClasses(ontologies, direct)

<foo> owl:disjointWith ?x

> class.getProperties(ontologies, direct) // get all object/datatype
> properties who's domain is the class

?x rdfs:Domain <foo>

> class.getIndividuals(ontologies, direct)

This one seems tougher. I am also not sure I understand it
(related?). Is it supposed to return all the known distinct
individuals? The query constructor would have to deduce all the graph
patterns that could cause an inferencing engine to deduce that two
nodes are distinct, which is no harder than writing a description
logic engine in, say, BRQL.

My guess is that the biggest payback will be for "direct". SeRQL folks
included direct subclass so maybe someone asked for it?

It would be cool to implement "direct" through an extension mechanism,
both because it is outside the task of simple graph match (and is
outside the RDF model), and because it would give our extension
mechanism some needed excercise.

--
-eric

                        5322 Endo, Fujisawa, Kanagawa 252-8520
                        JAPAN
cell:   +1.857.222.5741 (does not work in Asia)

(eric@w3.org)
email address distribution.