F2F Hosting Offer -- Washington, DC, USA

From: Kendall Clark <kendall@monkeyfist.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 09:47:03 -0400
To: public-rdf-dawg@w3.org

Inspired by Janne's quick offer, here's mine:

F2F Hosting Offer -- Washington, DC

When: 19 and 20 January 2005 (or 12 and 13 January 2005)
Where: Washington, DC (Airports: IAD, DCA, BWI)
Who: UMD's Mindlab and Tucana Technology

We can host a DAWG face to face meeting on the campus of UMD, College
Park, which is metro-accessible and about 7 miles from downtown
Washington, DC.

While we haven't firmed up actual meeting location details, the
options include meeting at Mindlab (but our conference room only
comfortably holds about 10), at the UMD conference center, or in a CS
classroom. At all of these locations we'll have wifi net access, and
the classroom buildings are entirely wifi, which is nice.

College Park, MD, is about a $50 taxi -- or 1 hr metro -- ride from
IAD (aka "Dulles"), which has the most direct flights from Europe and
Asia. It's a $25 taxi -- or 30 minute metro -- ride from DCA (aka
"National", unless you're a Republican, in which case: aka "Reagan").

There are two or three relatively inexpensive motels in College Park,
near the university; there are dozens of hotels a comfortable metro
ride away in various parts of DC itself; and the university has a
hotel/conference center so that people can stay very close to the
meeting place if we use the conference center.

I suspect, but can't say for certain yet, that Mindlab/Tucana would
provide at least light refreshments during meetings and probably
lunches. DC's a fun place and about 30 minutes away by metro from
College Park, so there's plenty of opportunities for off-meeting
merriment and socializing.

As for weather, DC shouldn't be as cold as Finland in January, but we
also won't have a sauna nearby or birch branches or endless streams of
vodka... YMMV. :>

More info:

UMD Mindlab site

UMD Inn and Conference Center

Computer Science Instruction Center, site of classrooms where meetings
could be held -- a totally wifi building

Official Tourism site for Washington DC

Washington DC Sightseeing Map (if you squint, you can see my apartment!)

Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority

Ben's Chili Bowl -- a DC institution since 1958

Kendall Clark