Re: names, elevator speeches, slides, and marketing

From: Dave Beckett <Dave.Beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 14:33:09 +0100
To: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu>
Cc: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, RDF Data Access Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>, Eric Miller <em@w3.org>

Jim> A few of us were discussing this at an e-gov Sem Web meeting
Jim> today -- the idea emerged that the "QL" space (RDQL, RDFQL,
Jim> etc.) has been largely covered, but we're chartered to do "Data
Jim> Access" and the "DAL" space seems pretty open - we didn't hit
Jim> anything great, one idea was RDAL (pronounced Riddle) - none of
Jim> us liked it, but we all preferred it to BRQL -- anyway, I throw
Jim> it out that something ending in DAL or using DA might be easier
Jim> to find than something with QL...

I've been thinking about this in the background.  BRQL was just a
strawman name - you got to call these things something.  So time to
summarise what I've got so far.

We need two names for the language and the protocol that are related,
and pronouncable, i.e not like RDQL / "arr dee queue ell" (en-uk)

So I suggest:

  Data Access for RDF Query Language - DARQ (pronounced as "dark")
  Data Access for RDF Protocol       - DARP

of course, DARP*A* may like the latter :)

I think RDAL/riddle would be confused with the somewhat related RDDL
and GRDDL work.

Dave