RE: XQuery syntax for BRQL semantics

I think we're both in violent agreement here.

The point is that BRQL results have structure--they're not just strings.
This is the case for XQuery as well. XQuery does *NOT* specify that
results are strings.
The language does specify that where results have structure, there is a
canonical way to serialize that structure using XML. Most standalone
XQuery engines choose to perform this serialization, but as a point of
fact that's not a part of the standard.
(This was demonstrated by Howard; different environment settings can
cause sequences to be serialized in different ways: either with newlines
between elements or without.)