Re: defn variable vacuuous

On Mon, 2004-09-06 at 07:26, Seaborne, Andy wrote:
> Dan Connolly wrote:
> >  -- http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/rq23/#basicpatterns
[...]
> """
> A variable is a placeholder in a query pattern for possible RDF terms.
> A variables is asscoiated with at most one RDF term in a query solution.
> """
> which disallows multivalue variables in a single query solution.

I think that constraint is expressed elsewhere, though I haven't
transcribed the definition of query solution yet. I think this
definition is still vacuous.

> Just saying it as text misses the formal nature of variables.

The formal nature of variables is captured by the other definitions.

I don't see why you want a specific definition for the term
variable in addition to the other definitions that use the
term variable in constrained ways.