Re: variables prefix - ?variable vs. $variable

From: Kendall Clark <kendall@monkeyfist.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 10:00:06 -0400
To: Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirkx@webweaving.org>
Cc: Kendall Clark <kendall@monkeyfist.com>, "Seaborne, Andy" <andy.seaborne@hp.com>, Alberto Reggiori <alberto@asemantics.com>, RDF Data Access Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>

On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 06:38:36AM -0700, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Kendall Clark wrote:
>
> > Third, it might not cost us, WG members, anything but it imposes a
> > cost on others.
>
> What cost ? We have no legacy at all - we have little deployed code out
> there; and just a few docs.

Really? There aren't RDQL (and TriQL and Algae users extant who are accustomed to spelling
a variable like "?this"? Do their expectations really matter so little?

> In the ideal world we should be able to use the semqeb query langauge
> everywhere where there is now sql over a *DBC used without having to
> change the clients, their IDE's, their toolchains or their setup.

Are you still including or ignoring changes to the protocol? I think
it's safe to say that the WG has been assuming (?) that we'd use
HTTP. How does that fit into yr "without having to change the clients"
vision?

> But just by just installing a Semweb query backend -and- a quick course in
> the language to the developers. I.e. swap out that dinosaur SQL database;
> plug in a SemWeb QL and you are ready for the future.

If it's really that easy,  and the only thing standing in the way is
"?foo", then I'm prepared, in principle, to change my mind. But that
premise seems far from clear.

Thanks for the ongoing clarification, too.

Best,
Kendall Clark