Re: variables prefix - ?variable vs. $variable

On Aug 30, 2004, at 11:32 PM, Tom Adams wrote:

>> or any chance to get '$' symbol accepted as a synonym for '?' symbol
>> in the BRQL spec?
>
> I'll admit to bias here... I think it's just familiarity, but I much
> prefer $ to ? for denoting variables, it seems easier to read to me.
> Of course, others will differ.

+1

> One thing we need to keep in mind is the characters we use, as people
> will end up using the language in far flung places. For example in
> iTQL we chose to use "<" and ">" to delimit URIs. This has caused us
> no end of heartache when dealing with JSP pages, XSL, or anything XML
> like that requires that these be escaped, or defined in CDATA
> sections.

...interesting related and *relevant* experience

my whole  point is: it might be really worth to leverage on the
existing DBC/XML software infrastructure API/protocols, and then try to
be compliant as much as possible - instead of designing yet another
programming language, API and protocol stack. This would also make our
specs thinner, smaller and easier to implement. Again, simplicity vs.
completeness...

cheers

Alberto