do we need INSERT?

From: Kendall Clark <kendall@monkeyfist.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 11:15:14 -0400
To: public-rdf-dawg@w3.org

Folks,

It occurred to me earlier -- while reading about Mark Nottingham's
sparta, a Python-to-RDF data binding library -- that we haven't yet
talked about something like an INSERT command to add one or more
triples to a graph.

A syntax might look something like:

PREFIX foo: <http://www.w3.org/#foo>
INSERT #ground triples only...
   {http://blap/, foo:baz, "1"}
   {http://blar/, foo:baz, "2"}
   {http://blip/, foo:baz, "3"}
INTO
   <http://localhost:8801/dawg/model1>

(A more complex form could allow triple patterns in the INSERT clause,
with values bound from a nested SELECT...)

Is this outside our brief? I suspect we could generate use cases to
support it, and I can't imagine not adding something like it to an
implementation, so maybe we should at least chat about it?

Best,
Kendall Clark

PS--I find I *really* want triple patterns to be delimited by
parentheses instead of brackets in BRQL. Is that a done deal?