Re: Some issues around RDF Collections and containers

DanC wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 10:10, Steve Harris wrote:
RDF

>>> cwm has a list:in built-in; i.e. it supports queries over
>>> a virtual graph that has list:in triples inferred.
>>> It's no speed daemon, though.
>>
>> This is the kind of solution I was worried about, a list of lenght N
needs
>> N*(N+1) / 2 inferred triples,
>
> Only if you're forward-chaining. Euler would only infer the ones it
> needs, I think.

Yes, but for instance asking for all list:in solutions and their
proofs we get memory trouble with lists above 80 items, at least
while using recursive rules such as
{?L rdf:first ?X} => {?X list:in ?L}.
{?L rdf:rest ?B. ?X list:in ?B} => {?X list:in ?L}.

> Anyway... I'm not arguing strongly in favor of adding special support
> for collections. I just think it merits a place in our issues list.
> Folks who wonder "why doesn't the new-fangled DAWG-BARKING-QL from W3C
> support collections explicitly?" should get an explicit answer if
> they go poring thru the WG's records.

agreed