Re: Some issues around RDF Collections and containers

From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 16:10:12 +0100
To: RDF Data Access Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>

On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 09:49:41AM -0500, Dan Connolly wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 09:40, Steve Harris wrote:
> > I agree with these points wholeheartedly, but I have concern over the
> > difficulty and scalability issues of implementing anything to handle RDF
> > collections. Are there any large-ish RDF stores that handle these
> > intelligently or as a special case?
>
> cwm has a list:in built-in; i.e. it supports queries over
> a virtual graph that has list:in triples inferred.
> It's no speed daemon, though.

This is the kind of solution I was worried about, a list of lenght N needs
N*(N+1) / 2 inferred triples, which quickly becomes unmanageable, eg.
MusicBrainz has containers with several thousand members. Admittedly thier
not collections, so the problem is not as bad, but its a reasonable
thing to want to store in a collection.