Re: Objective 4.2 : Change "provenance" to "data management"

From: Kendall Clark <kendall@monkeyfist.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 18:06:38 -0400
To: "Seaborne, Andy" <andy.seaborne@hp.com>
Cc: "'RDF Data Access Working Group'" <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>

On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 08:06:21PM +0100, Seaborne, Andy wrote:

> """
> 4.2. Support for RDF Aggregation Graphs
>
> RDF can be used for data integration and aggregation where an RDF repository
> is built by merging RDF triples from several other RDF repositories or from
> non-RDF source converted to RDF.  Such an aggregation can be real or
> virtual.
>
> In such an RDF graph, the query client may wish to know where the target
> server originally collected a triple or subgraph from.  The query language
> and protocol should enable an RDF repository to expose such information.
> """

Modulo some (minor) wording changes and some consolidation of the two
paragraphs, I support this reworking of 4.2. As I said in Carlsbad,
for building real world apps, some kind of data management (variously
known as 'provenance', 'contexts', and 'source') is essential.

To address Rob's point, I don't see 4.2 as contradicting or extending
the RDF data model.

I'll be moving something very much like Andy's wording into the UC&R
document when I next update it (very soon).

Best,
Kendall