Re: deployment issues with fragment/range protocol

From: Alberto Reggiori <alberto@asemantics.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 00:04:15 +0200
Cc: public-rdf-dawg@w3.org
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>

On Jul 14, 2004, at 10:05 PM, Dan Connolly wrote:

> As a URI, that looks like:
> http://rest.myorg.org/#xpointer=xmlns(ns:=http://myorg.org/xpointer/
> scheme/xpath)ns:xpath(//item/3)
> which is all well and good if the client knows to use this range
> protocol, but if I hand that URI to, say, wget, it'll
> do the traditional thing of urlopen("http://rest.myorg.org/")
> and then apply the #xpointer... to the result, never sending
> the query to the server at all.
> I prefer to use ? (or / or whatever, but not #) to join the
> query to the rest of the URI, so that our design would say
> the URI in this case is:

I agree - even though #xpointer() specs seem not recommending so...

> http://rest.myorg.org/?xpointer=xmlns(ns:=http://myorg.org/xpointer/
> scheme/xpath)ns:xpath(//item/3)
> and if I give that to wget, it'll send the query to the server.

and using '/' instead would also make those URIs cacheable while '?'
would generally not (most proxies/firewalls grep URL queries parts off)

i.e. from the real world A9.com vs. Google URL search paradigm

perhaps it would be good to learn from past mistakes if we really are
going to have those "bookmarkable queries" in DAWG-QL