Re: More on additional semantic information

Enrico-
  I'm not really sure how to reply except to say I simply don't agree
- the problem is the points you make are true against some sort of
"general" ontological framework, but not against OWL where there is a
normative document, approved by the W3C as a web recommendation, that
outlines the specific semantics in question.  I'm also very confused
why you think that RDFS is somehow cleaner than OWL Full.  You are
right that within the DL community there could be some issues, but
the exact set of what is and isn't entailed in OWL is not up for
argument (in OWL DL) and in OWL Full, I don't see where it is
different than RDF-S.
  However, please be clear what the "additional semantic information"
objective is about (as best I can tell) - it doesn't say create an
OWL query language, it says where there is an RDFS or OWL ontology
represent in the RDF graph that is being queried, there should be an
ability to expose some or all of those semantics -- a simple example
-- in a typical database if I query for
  ?x a ex:animal
I will only see those things that are exactly known to be animals --
but if Bob is a bear (and bear is an animal), I wouldn't be
legitimized to answer "Bob" -- however, if I were querying an RDFS or
OWL backend with some inferencing, I would be very surprised if it
didn't include Bob.  I'd at least want a way to make it clear in the
protocol, if not in the query proper, as to whether I would want to
include inferred relations of some type.
  Look, a lot of us spent several years designing OWL to sit correctly
on RDF, with the goal being, at least for some of us, that the
ontological properties created become first class citizens of the Web
-- for the DAWG to ignore this seems crazy to me.
  So, while I would actually like "additional Semantic Information" to
be a requirement (not an objective), I can live with it as an
objective.  However, for it to be completely ignored would seem to me
we are not doing our job of supporting the entire RDF using
population, which includes us RDFS and OWL users.
  -Jim H

--
Professor James Hendler			  http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/hendler
Univ of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742	  240-277-3388 (Cell)