ACTION: write up ebXML registry UC

From: Farrukh Najmi <Farrukh.Najmi@Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 11:05:40 -0400
To: RDF Data Access Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>

(Resending  after adding links to ebXML Registry. Dan, please let me
know if this is what you were expecting. Thanks in advance for comments
and suggestions from WG members.)

>ACTION: Farrukh, write up ebXML registry UC

Below is a first draft of a proposed ebXML Registry use case. I am
sending it in HTML format for easier integration into document. Let me
know if this is inconvenient to anyone and I will resend.

      n.m Searching and Browsing an Ontology Repository

Peter is developing a medical knowledge base using OWL
<http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/WebOnt>/RDF in collaboration with medical
domain experts all over the world. The knowledge base is used within
electronic patient records <http://xml.coverpages.org/hl7PRA.html>. To
facilitate collaboration and avoid duplication the team is using a
federated ebXML Registry
<http://ebxmlrr.sourceforge.net/presentations/xmlEurope2004/04-02-02.pdf>
to store the knowledge base they are building. When adding a new concept
to the knowledge base Peter uses a Registry Browser
<http://ebxmlrr.sourceforge.net/3.0/registryBrowser> application to
search the ebXML Registry for similar or related concepts. The Registry
Browser allows Peter to choose a parameterized query
<http://ebxmlrr.sourceforge.net/3.0/registryBrowser/discovery.html#Adhoc%20Queries>
from a set of  pre-configured parameterized queries and offers a form
that Peter uses to enter the query parameters. Peter enters a few
parameters and issues the query. The ebXML Registry returns a large
number of matching results
<http://ebxmlrr.sourceforge.net/3.0/registryBrowser/discovery.html#Search%20Results%20Panel>.
Peter, narrows his search by re-issuing the query with additional
parameters until he find concepts that are most relevant to his concept.
Peter now drills down and browses
<http://ebxmlrr.sourceforge.net/3.0/registryBrowser/browsing.html> these
concepts, their related concepts and meta data to determine whether to
add his new Concept or not.

*Motivates:* RDF Graph Pattern Matching
<http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-dawg-uc/#r3.1>, Variable Binding Results
<http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-dawg-uc/#r3.2>. Iterative Queries