Re: PS-15: Regular Expression Comparison of URIs

On Mar 24, 2004, at 00:24, ext Eric Prud'hommeaux wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 09:27:38AM +0200, Patrick Stickler wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 23, 2004, at 06:41, ext Eric Prud'hommeaux wrote:
>>

>>> While the content selection/site description communities may not need
>>> all of regular expressions, historically, they have made use of
>>> substrings ala $uri =~ m/http:\/\/playboy\.com\/pictures.*/
>>
>> I'm sorry, but I don't understand the significance of this comment.
>> Are
>> you saying regular expression comparison is a bad thing because some
>> folks might do bad things with it? Or are you saying it's a good thing
>> because it allows folks to do things they already do and find useful?
>
> the latter. It was supposed to be without value judgement, just an
> observation that there are folks who have a need for a subset of that
> expressivity.

Right. That was why I had included it in RDFQ in the first place, and
why I offered a use case for it. We've also had "fringe" applications
that need to break the best practice of URI opacity for very special
purposes, so having a standardized way to do that is I think a good
thing.

Patrick

--

Patrick Stickler