RE: thoughts and some refs about AFS-2 UC (simplicity, minimalism )

I'm very skeptical of the "two document" approach to a single RDF query
spec. It strikes me as an artifical link between two independent issues.
If we want to address both problems, let's let them stand independently
and vote up or down on them independently.

Analyzing a known collection of RDF triples is one problem. It's a core
technology that is needed to work with RDF: one can imagine users
querying local files or even use of the language purely programmatically
for internal data which fits the RDF model. The scope ranges from
DOM/SAX to XPath to XQuery for XML.

The architecture of the semantic web strikes me as *totally* different.
Even if we did come up with a recommendation which addresses how to
locate certain resources and the network protocol used to interface with
a remote query processor, implementing that would require an an ability
to analyze the local RDF data.

What's more, heading down the architecture road strikes me as going way
beyond the W3C's role here. The body's core competency is defining
document formats, not architecture. If one were able to express a query
in text form and get a text result, then I think all the other standards
take over from there; it's pretty hard to screw that up in SOAP. Where
certain files should be stored, on which machines query services should
be run, and who is allowed to access those services are precisely those
issues that can't be standardized top-down. Different groups with
different priorities and different approaches are going to try a lot of
different architectures, and some will work better than others. We have
nothing even close to the number of users needed to standardize on any
particular architecture, and what users RDF has now are an extremely
poor representation of the community we're hoping will emerge.

The community needs a sane schema for ins and outs before any
significant applications can be built. Let's address that.