Re: thoughts and some refs about AFS-2 UC

From: Alberto Reggiori <alberto@asemantics.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 09:57:54 +0100
Cc: RDF Data Access Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>
To: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>

On Mar 19, 2004, at 8:57 AM, Patrick Stickler wrote:

> On Mar 18, 2004, at 18:30, ext Alberto Reggiori wrote:
>
>> ... To tackle the provenance aspect/problem instead, I would expect
>> such systems to explicitly flag/annotate their CBDs with some
>> authoritative information about the source providing the the answer.
>> Even so, it is not clear to me how today solutions like Joseki/URIQA
>> solves this problem though.
>>
>> Any thoughts about this?
>
> Jeremy Carroll, Chris Bizer, Pat Hayes, and I have been working on an
> approach
> to address such issues -- concerning named graphs, signatures, and
> authentication.
> We are working to get a paper completed.

thanks!

> To properly address such concerns, you have to (in our opinion) add a
> little bit
> of extra machinery and augment the RDF MT -- so given the presumption
> that what
> the DAWG comes up with should sync with the latest RDF/OWL specs, that
> could put
> it out of scope.

well - not sure - perhaps need to discuss this once we have got a
clearer picture of the story here - I would rather need instead such a
feature :-)

provenance/attributions seem to be a key aspect to consider for the
success of the whole RDF and associated query languages stuff - anybody
else agree on this?

Alberto