RS-2: dependency/cause analysis

From: Rob Shearer <Rob.Shearer@networkinference.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 11:55:48 -0800
To: "RDF Data Access Working Group" <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>

A user is responsible for a complex system involving a large number of
hardware/software dependencies. Dependencies among components and
services, along with identifying attributes of each component and
service, have been encoded in RDF triples of the form:

myNet:LAN, myNet:hasDescription, "office LAN"^^xsd::string
myNet:fw, myNet:hasDescription, "firewall"^^xsd::string
myNet:inet, myNet:hasDescrption, "internet access"^^xsd::string
myNet:inet, myNet:dependsOn, myNet:LAN
myNet:inet, myNet:dependsOn, myNet:fw

RS-2a:

A user wants to find all the things that depend on some particular
component.
E.g. if we take down the firewall, which services will be affected?

RS-2b:

A user wants to find all the requirements for a particular service.
E.g. what services need to be working for me to have internet access?

RS-2c:

A user knows that some services are working and others are not. What are
the possible root causes of the outage?
E.g. I am receiving email but I can't browse the web. What's wrong?