Re: JS-1: Support subPropertyOf

On Thu, 2004-03-11 at 13:41, Janne Saarela wrote:
[...]
> The server has rooted 'music:composer' to 'dc:creator'
> via (music:composer, rdfs:subPropertyOf, dc:creator).
>
> The client queries for
>
> (X, dc:creator', 'John Smith')
>
> and should be returned with composers that have name
> 'John Smith'.

Ah... now that has clear appeal.

Meanwhile, we're treading on the boundaries of our charter,
which says that the access mechanism is orthogonal to
the inference capabilities of the service...

"The protocol will allow access to a notional RDF graph. This may in
practice be the virtual graph which would follow from some form of
inference from a stored graph. This does not affect the data access
protocol, but may affect the description of the data access service. For
example, if OWL DL semantics are supported by a service, that may be
evident in the description of the service or the virtual graph which is
queried, but it will not affect the protocol"
 -- http://www.w3.org/2003/12/swa/dawg-charter#rdfs-owl-queries

So I'll be watching carefully to see how this use case turns
into requirements on the data access technology, as opposed
to requirements on an RDFS inference engine. If they get
too intertwingled, we'll have to look at changing the charter.
It can be done, but it involves talking with lots of people
outside the WG.

>  The return vocabulary should by default
> be that of the client (=dc) or by explicit request
> something else (e.g. =music).
>
> Janne
see you at the WWW2004 in NY 17-22 May?