Re: Use case: AFS-1: "Find the resource for the person called 'John Smith'"

On Thu, 2004-03-11 at 07:23, Seaborne, Andy wrote:
> Let's start with a simple case as much to find out what a use case is:
>
> Suppose an application wishes to find the resources in a knowledge base for
> people with the name "John Smith".  The knowledge base is a collection of
> vCards in RDF (see [1] for RDF version, see [2] for the definition) e.g. an
> address book or an enterprise directory.
>
> vCards have a property vcard:FN (FN is "Formatted Name" I think) so we want
> those things with a value of "John Smith" for property vcard:FN.

This is a good start, but it's not clear to me how the customer/client
gets value yet.

If you take the system I work on, cwm, and ask it
	?WHO vcard:FN "John Smith".
it'll dutifully bind ?WHO to _:bnode23o4u23 and report

	[ vcard:FN "John Smith" ].

i.e. yes, there is somebody/something that has vcard:FN "John Smith".
Gee thanks. The user probably wants his contact info, if he's
using the vcard namespace.

Could you (or somebody...) flesh this example out a bit? Tell me
more about the user... are they trying to find John Smith's
email message to send them email? Or are they trying to bust
John Smith for some crime? Or invite him to a party?

Can you say something about why writing a program on top of
rdflib or XSLT doesn't suit this user's needs?

> (I used vCards in this example just because its one we use in the Jena
> tutorials and find it easy to communicate to people.)
>
> 	Andy
>

> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/NOTE-vcard-rdf-20010222/
> [2] ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2426.txt
see you at the WWW2004 in NY 17-22 May?